October 2, 2016

The chief divine of Nur sent two trusted envoys to challenge Bahá’u’lláh

Mulla Muhammad, the chief divine of the district of Nur asked his two trusted sons-in-law, Mulla 'Abbas and Mirza Abu'l-Qasim to meet Baha’u’llah and determine the true character of the Message that He had brought. He pledged his unreserved endorsement of whatever conclusions they might reach.

On being informed, upon their arrival in Tákúr, that Bahá’u’lláh had departed for His winter resort in Darkala, the representatives of Mullá Muhammad decided to leave for that place. Darkala is located north of Takur, closer to the Caspian Sea. It has a milder, rainy weather. Baha’u’llah’s father had a winter house in Darkala for the use of his extended family who didn’t live in Tehran. The two envoys had to travel over the mountains to get to their destination.

When they arrived, they found Bahá’u’lláh engaged in revealing a commentary on the opening Súrih of the Qur’án, entitled “The Seven Verses of Repetition.” As they sat and listened to His discourse, the loftiness of the theme, the persuasive eloquence which characterised its presentation, as well as the extraordinary manner of its delivery, profoundly impressed them. Mullá Abbás, unable to contain himself, arose from his seat and, urged by an impulse he could not resist, walked back and stood still beside the door in an attitude of reverent submissiveness. The charm of the discourse to which he was listening had fascinated him. “You behold my condition,” he told his companion as he stood trembling with emotion and with eyes full of tears. “I am powerless to question Bahá’u’lláh. The questions I had planned to ask Him have vanished suddenly from my memory. You are free either to proceed with your enquiry or to return alone to our teacher and inform him of the state in which I find myself. Tell him from me that Abbás can never again return to him. He can no longer forsake this threshold.” Mírzá Abu’l-Qásim was likewise moved to follow the example of his companion. “I have ceased to recognise my teacher,” was his reply. “This very moment, I have vowed to God to dedicate the remaining days of my life to the service of Bahá’u’lláh, my true and only Master.”

The news of the sudden conversion of the chosen envoys of the mujtahid of Núr spread with bewildering rapidity throughout the district. It roused the people from their lethargy. Ecclesiastical dignitaries, State officials, traders, and peasants all flocked to the residence of Bahá’u’lláh. A considerable number among them willingly espoused His Cause. In their admiration for Him, a number of the most distinguished among them remarked: “We see how the people of Núr have risen and rallied round you. We witness on every side evidences of their exultation. If Mullá Muhammad were also to join them, the triumph of this Faith would be completely assured.” “I am come to Núr,” Bahá’u’lláh replied, “solely for the purpose of proclaiming the Cause of God. I cherish no other intention. If I were told that at a distance of a hundred leagues a seeker yearned for the Truth and was unable to meet Me, I would, gladly and unhesitatingly, hasten to his abode, and would Myself satisfy his hunger. Mullá Muhammad, I am told, lives in Sa’adat-Ábád, a village not far distant from this place. It is My purpose to visit him and deliver to him the Message of God.” 
(Adapted from ‘The Dawn-Breakers’, by Nabil, translated and edited by Shoghi Effendi; and from ‘Robe of Light, vol. 1’, by David Ruhe)